To become a Digital Technology & Culture major you must complete the certification process and be approved by the DTC faculty.
- To apply for certification a student must:
- Have completed 24 credit hours;
- Earned a minimum 2.2 GPA; and
- Submit a DTC certification packet as outlined below.
- Certification forms and completed application materials must be submitted online here.
- If, for some reason, you can not upload your digital project files, they must be submitted on a flash drive to Professor Kristin Becker in Avery 479. Put the drive in an appropriately sized envelope and clearly label it as “DTC Certification” with your full name.
- After all of your application materials have been received, they will be reviewed, and you will receive a response within two weeks.
The DTC Certification packet must include:
- One digital or multimodal project you have produced. We are looking to see that you have begun the process of learning digital tools, NOT that you are an expert. In the past, students have included logos, videos, animations, websites, page spreads, and posters. This must be something you have digitally manipulated in some way—for example a photograph will not count, but a photograph you took and then used in a poster you designed will. If you have any questions, contact Professor Kristin Becker. Materials will not be returned.
- A completed online certification form (see above link)
- A statement of purpose (no longer than 750 words total) completed online with the certification form above. The statement must address the following:
- Explain how you believe the DTC major will support your academic and career goals. Describe what you bring to the DTC program, and describe what you believe a DTC education can provide you.
- Describe the digital or multimodal project you included with your certification form. First describe how you made the piece technically, and second explain why you made the design, platform, and structural choices that you did (that is, why does the final product look like it does? Why the colors, images, fonts, or other choices that you made?)